Monday, November 15, 2010

Giving Thanks


By this time last year the boat was put up for winter.  This year I am even thinking about fishing tomorrow.  It has been an awesome fall.  We have had off and on 70 degree weather since September.  Last week it got almost to 70, well this week the weather is almost 50.  It’s been odd.  But the added time on the water has been great.  I got to try out new things and found some honey holes I never new existed.  Before long the snow will roll in, the boat will be put up till spring and I will think about fishing until it’s time to get the boat out again.

It’s funny, I have taken this nice weather for granted.  I haven’t stop and thanked God for the extended fall.  I haven’t thanked God that I will most likely be fishing the week of Thanksgiving.  We are approaching that time in America when we stop and think about all the things we are thankful for.  Yet Christians shouldn’t just stop and thank God in November, we should be thanking him all the time. 
 
We can easily get wrapped up in life and not thank him for all he gives us.  It is easy to forget about God until Sunday and never pray until we walk into church.  Philippians 4:6 says: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”  Philippians 4:6 says it better than I can, we need to remember that God cares about us and loves us.  He wants us to spend time in prayer and thank him, just as we want to be thanked for the things we do.  So I challenge you to spend 5 minutes thanking God for all he has given you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment