Thursday, November 11, 2010

Can't Tell a Lie


Today I embarked on a new adventure in fishing.  I got a video camera and had my friend Josh help me film some footage of me fishing an Atomic Tackle Company jig dipped in JJ’s Magic Sauce, around lay downs.  This is a technique I have been working on and have pretty well mastered.  Things were going to plan; I explained how I rig it and how I fish it.  To be honest I kind of felt like one of my hero's on T.V., but then things didn’t work out like I planned.  After an hour of filming I could not catch a bass on a jig.  There is plenty of footage of me missing a bite, or me working a jig through the trees.  Just no fish!  Before we filmed Josh and I ran to a spot I had found two days before, and he and I had put fish in the boat on crank baits.  I began to wonder, “What if we run up river nail some more fish on a crank bait and then keep the best one, hook it with a jig, put it in the water near a tree and fake me nailing a fish on a jig?”  I have read different items that say those pictures in magazines are faked; most times the fish aren’t caught on the bait hanging out of their mouths in the pictures, would this be any different.  After talking with Josh I had my answer……”No!” it was not an option.

I came to realize that no matter how much I wanted my first fishing shoot to be perfect it wasn’t going to happen.  Maybe to someone else the idea of lying about how you catch a fish would be ok, but for me and my belief in Christ, I could not lie about it in good conscious.  Yes, I could have faked the set up like I thought about but that would have eaten away at me for the rest of my life.  I pride myself on being honest in a world that at times bends the truth for its own benefit.   I didn’t get the footage I wanted but I have a clear conscious which is more important to me. Plus I spent 5 hours on the water with my best friend; we still got a bunch of good fish, and started the filming. The end result was not a complete video as what I had wanted but it was still worth every minute.  I also witnessed one of the funniest things I have ever seen:  Josh pulled in a sunfish on a Strom Crank bait, not a small crank bait a LARGE crank bait.  I would not have believed it if I hadn’t seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment