Thursday, January 13, 2011

Fighting


I was reading John 8:31-32 “Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 

I often wonder why people fight this freedom.  Before I was a Christian I fought God day in and day out.  I grew up in a home where my mother made me go to church even though I didn’t want to.  I wanted to live my life my way.  I am thankful that she did, if she had not I would not have had the roots in Christ that I did.  I could never shake those feelings of knowing the things I was doing were wrong.

I was thinking while reading John 8:31-32 that those who fight the freedom we have in Christ are like bass.  When they are hooked they do everything they can to get free.  Some try to hide, but we pull them free.  Some make a run for open water and we let them until they tire out and we can reel them into the boat.  Some bass fight more than others.  Some bass break free from that hook and swim off.

People are the same way.  We all have it ingrained in us that there is something more.  We are created for something bigger.  We fight those feelings and thoughts and fight God just like those bass.  Just like the bass some people take longer to find the Lord and run and hide longer than others.  

The best part is just like the bass when we finally give in and follow God we are set free.  The bass is set free from the hook in his mouth, some go back in the water and the big ones hit the live well to be set free later.  The point is when we finally decide to follow God we are set free.  We no longer have to worry about what comes after death because we have life eternal.

Don’t be like the bass we fish for.  Don’t run from God instead head to him and allow him to set you free from the struggle of living without him.  Allow him to pull that hook (Sin and eternal separation) from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment