Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Army Bass Anglers


I had the chance last week to Interview Major Cody Roberson of Army Bass Anglers.  I was honored to do the phone interview about the new show that Army Bass Anglers are involved in, “Big Bass Battle” on Verses.  

Being a student at a Christian College I am exposed to a lot of debates in the Christian world that most Christians are not even aware of.  Before we went on Christmas break one of the debates we talked about in my Worldview and Ethics class was the “Just War Theory”.  If you are not familiar with this debate it boils down to should Christians go to war.  It can also include should Christians be in the military.

Now, I don’t want to get all preachy and I don’t want to tell people what they should believe on this matter.  The fact is, I don’t know how I feel.  http://www.justwartheory.com/ is a great website that you can go and research the theory for yourself.   Now like I said I don’t know how I feel about the subject, and this is why.  We live in a country where we have a lot of freedom, freedom I enjoy and I know that without the dedication of our military we would not enjoy this freedom.  When I hear people bash war and those in the service it bothers me.  We need to support our military personnel.  

I understand both sides of the Just War Theory.  I understand that Christians are not supposed to harm others, and that we don’t read about Christians in the military in the Bible.  However, that being said I know a lot of great Christian men that have served in the Military.  My grandfather and father in-law both served and if I could be half the men they are I would be doing well.

The point I am trying to make is that even if you don’t believe Christians should be in the military we need to still support those men and women who defend our freedom every day.  Even if we don’t agree with the decision to go to war, we should support those who serve.  Like I said, it was an honor to talk with Major Cody Roberson last week.  Just remember as Christians we are called to love those around us even if we don’t agree with what they do or say.  Jesus is our example and he loved everyone even those who tried to kill him.

No comments:

Post a Comment