Friday, March 18, 2011

Alton Jones

Well if you don’t know Alton Jones has been dominating the current B.A.S.S. Master Elite event this weekend.  I think Alton Jones is a great guy.  He is a Christian and a heck of a bass fisherman.  I have had the opportunity to talk with him on the phone and email for articles I have written.  I did a post about him (read here) a month back.
Gregg Kizewski posted on Alton Jones Facebook “Great job Alton! Jeremiah 17:7-10” today, so I went and read it Jeremiah 17:7-10 says:
 7 “But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD,
   whose confidence is in him.
8 They will be like a tree planted by the water
   that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
   its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
   and never fails to bear fruit.”
 9 The heart is deceitful above all things
   and beyond cure.
   Who can understand it?
 10 “I the LORD search the heart
   and examine the mind,
to reward each person according to their conduct,
   according to what their deeds deserve.”
I think this verse speaks wonders about Alton Jones and some other anglers on the B.A.S.S. Elite circuit.  All too often I think we as fans get so caught up in pro athletes we forget about the kind of people they are.  We over look the things they do because of how they are.  I know there are Christians in other sports as well who are a good example.
However there are those athletes who aren’t who I wouldn’t want my son or daughter to grow up and act like.  I am grateful that B.A.S.S. allows pros like Alton Jones, Shaw Grigsby and others to share their faith and thank God on stage.  Remember what verse 10 says, the Lord knows our hearts and rewards us.  It might not be here on earth but we are rewarded. 
I want to wish Alton Jones the best of luck to on the remainder of the tournament.  If he wins (I think he will) we will have two Christians with wins in the B.A.S.S. Elite series this year.  What if the streak continues how cool would that be.  Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment